INDIVIDUALS – VOLUNTEER STAFF
Volunteer, Cairns RSL Sub-branch – Kokoda Hall Museum
Since commencing as a volunteer for the Cairns RSL Sub-Branch Kokoda Hall Museum after discharging from the Royal Australian Navy in 2011, Craig has made an outstanding contribution towards improving the material state of Museum exhibits, initiating and implementing new displays, and sourcing new items of memorabilia. His contributions, enthusiasm and vision have combined to establish him as a role model for his fellow Museum volunteers and has inspired them to undertake further ground-breaking initiatives.
Craig has contributed to raising the standards of practice of the Kokoda Hall Museum, and some of his notable achievements in enhancing Museum exhibits and creating new displays include:
- Refurbishment of over 100 Military crests and remounting on dedicated display boards which he manufactured;
- Construction and installation of cabinets for weapons in a dedicated collection for display;
- Sourcing of historically significant uniforms and cleaning and refurbishment of the uniforms for display;
- Construction of a mezzanine storage area by reinforcing the roof of the Museum’s Vietnam War exhibit “Bob’s Bunker”, with an authentic façade for “Bob’s Bunker”;
- Sourcing funding for a 1/50 scale model of Cairns-based Attack Class Patrol Boat HMAS Barricade … to name a few.
The outcomes that Craig has delivered have originated from his innovative approach and strategic vision for the direction of the Museum. His ideas have been underpinned by specific themes relevant to the history of Cairns’ important role in the defence of the nation. He has demonstrated exemplary professionalism in delivering outcomes that add value to the Museum’s collection.
Craig is a valuable asset to the organisation.
Banner image: 2019 GAMAA trophies created by Queensland artist Lucy Quinn. Photo: Andrea Higgins, courtesy of M&G QLD.