The Australian Public Galleries Snapshot collates the data of 197 of our country’s estimated 408 small-to-medium public galleries. Published by the National Public Galleries Alliance, this report is the most detailed overview of our sector to date.
Download the report
Australian Public Galleries at a glance
[Based on available data]:
- Local Government is the largest investor in small-to-medium public galleries (51% of the 197 public galleries captured in the Snapshot are owned or operated by Local Government).
- Small-to-medium public galleries employ more than 900 FTE staff.
- Annually, over 16.5 million people visit our country’s public galleries including state, territory and national public gallery institutions.
- 44% of visitation is to small-to-medium public galleries in regional areas, compared to 56% to small-to-medium public galleries in metropolitan areas.
- Annually, more than 5,100 volunteers donate their time and expertise to small-to-medium public galleries. Quantified, the value of this volunteer labour is $15.9 million.
National Public Galleries Alliance members
The Australian Public Galleries Snapshot is a research initiative prepared by Museums & Galleries Queensland and Public Galleries Association of Victoria on behalf of the National Public Galleries Alliance.
If you have any questions about the report or our use of this data, please contact Melissa Fletcher, Information Officer, on 07 3059 9740, freecall 1800 866 101 or email email@example.com